About the SUPER TOURING CAR FESTIVAL
During the 1980s and ‘90s, the British Touring Car Championship became arguably the best national championship in the world. This became a global success with championships in Europe, Asia, North and South America and Australia when the Super Touring Car regulations came into force in the late 90s, up to 2000. Manufacturers were ploughing millions into their 2 car teams, culminating in 10 manufacturers including Alfa Romeo, BMW, Ford, Peugeot, Toyota, Vauxhall and Volvo. Many ex F1 drivers even took their place within the BTCC including Derek Warwick, Gabriele Tarquini, Nicola Larini and Nigel Mansell, drivers from Sports Cars had a go including, Frank Biela, Steve Soper and Manfred Winklehock, all taking on the British stars of Cleland, Hoy, Plato, Leslie, Watts, O’Dor and Reid. They were magical race days.
From 2015, John Cleland, Patrick Watts and Tim Harvey relived their golden era but it was Stewart Whyte from Auchterarder who eclipsed them all in his ex-Le Mans legend Tom Kristensen Honda Accord. In June, we are hoping for a great, mixed grid of all era’s, featuring some cars with a huge pedigree from their early race days, now reliving their glory days, some reunited with their original drivers and some with new owners who are keen to show them off to an appreciative audience. We are also planning a unique collection of show cars too located within pit lane garages to add to the racers on the track.
Being two months before our Dunlop BTCC event featuring our own Gordon “Flash” Shedden who is returning as the triple and 2016 champ, we will have special offers for those attending both events. The two-day programme will feature a Super Touring Car race on both Saturday and Sunday as well as the Junior Touring Car Championship making their first appearance. With all the content on and off track, it’s going to be a special weekend for fans of saloon car racing.
Star names attended in 2016 and we are working hard on attracting some big names this year too – names and their race cars will be announced as and when they are confirmed – watch our Latest News and Facebook!
John Cleland – We are expecting Double British Touring Car Champion, John Cleland (TBC) to be with us for the David Leslie Super Touring Car Festival event racing in his trusty Vauxhall Vectra - the car he debuted here at Knockhill way back in 1997. He had troublesome engine problems last year and will be out to have a strong performance this year. Check out the video above for an exclusive interview, John's always great value for a quote or two and this one's no different. JC will be racing in the two Super Touring Car Championship races and will also be participating in a Driver's Forum (Sat Night) and Autograph sessions throughout the weekend.
Grid Walk - Sunday Only
During Sunday 4th June, the David Leslie Super Touring Car Championship feature race will now see a 15-minute grid walk take place immediately before the race; and you can be part of it. A limited number of tickets (150 of) are on sale now for just £5. Enjoy the build up to the highly-anticipated race right from the heart of the grid. **Update** GOLD Season Pass holders will get free admission. Remember, a grid walk pass will not grant you access to the event - you must purchase a spectator ticket as well.
This event will be a bumper two-day event and also see a number of additional features, including the visiting Super Touring Car Championship, the Junior Touring Car Championship for 14 – 17-year-olds and the National Formula Fords as well. Many of the regular SMRC classes will have extra races but the Scottish Formula Ford features the David Leslie Trophy Race – the most prestigious Formula Ford event of the year. This will make this event the busiest race weekends of the season.
Super Touring Car Championship Entry List and Timetable
The provisional STCC entry list will be released nearer the event – watch out for details in due course.
Great news, Knockhill are delighted to announce that we will be providing free camping space for any fans who wish to make a weekend of The David Leslie Super Touring Car Festival event. Simply check out the news, features or visitor information sections for further info.
Additional points of note:
- SMRC race days are great value for money with 8 hours or fast and furious action that will keep you and your family/friends and relatives enthralled from start to finish. Saturday action will be from 1 pm and all day on Sunday.
- You’ll see 130+ of Scotland’s top racing drivers compete in a wide variety of vehicles and Championships plus the visiting racers of the Super Tourers, National Formula Fords and Junior Saloon Cars.
- Spectacular viewing areas are available throughout the venue and multiple corners can be seen from several locations.
- Knockhill boasts some very special corners and scenery, and viewing around the entire venue is highly recommended.
- Remember to bring your camera, you’ll be amazed how close you can get to the action – and it’s a perfect way to showcase what you’ve been up to at Knockhill.
- There’s also a family play park, picnic area and expanded Kids’ Zones at certain events (see event features); perfect for those moments when you need the kids to let off some steam.
- Family and kids karting is also available at our 500m, outdoor, track (subject to availability).
- Spectator car parking areas allow you to watch the action from the comfort of your car when the weather takes a turn for the worse.
- As well our two on-site restaurants, there are always a number of other outlets to purchase food and beverages from.
What will be racing at this event?
- The Celtic Speed Mini Cooper Cup
- The Scottish Formula Ford 1600 Championship
- The Scottish Saloons and Sports Car Championship
- The Scottish Classic Sports and Saloons Championship
- The Scottish Fiesta Championship
- The Scottish Legends Championship
- The Scottish BMW Compact Cup
- The HSCC Super Touring Car Championship
- The Junior Saloon Car Championship
- The National Formula Fords
How to book?
Tickets for all seven SMRC meetings held at Knockhill this year are available via the KNOCKHILL website. Knockhill Racing Circuit dispatches and manages all ticket requests for the events. Booking online saves money with all advanced tickets enjoy pre-booking discounts. Tickets can also be purchased over the phone (01383 723337) or purchased at the venue on the day of the event (subject to on the day pricing).
Further information on each SMRC class is available via the features dropdown on this page, with links to the class info on the SMRC website. You can also keep up to date with all the latest SMRC event news and reports by checking out the News dropdown.
You can also find more info via the Official SMRC Website - SMRC Website