Last week we caught up with 1992 British Touring Car Champion, and double Porsche Carrera Cup Champion, Tim Harvey. You may recognise Tim more for his punditry on ITV Sport covering the current incarnation of the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship; but back in the day, Tim was a household name competing in the BTCC from 1987 to 2002 for the likes of BMW, Renault, Peugeot, Ford and Alfa Romeo. Indeed his BTCC CV reads like a who’s-who of some of the most iconic teams ever to run in the BTCC.
So, with our very own David Leslie Super Touring Car Festival event on the horizon (3-4 June), we thought we’d get a quick chat with Tim about those memorable days and get his unique insight into one of the most cherished eras of British Touring Car racing; and of course his now legendary scrap with John Cleland for that 1992 title.
If you’d like to see some of the same cars that graced circuits up and down the country during the 90s, that spawned so many famous names in British motorsport – Rydell, Soper, Menu and Tarquini – who incidentally took a double win at the equivalent event last year behind the wheel of a David Leslie Honda Accord – then head on over to the Knockhill website for further info.
Here’s just a few snippets of what’s on over the weekend of 3-4 June 2017.
- Feature races including; the HSCC Super Touring Car Championship (Entry List), Junior Saloon Car Championship, National Formula Fords & The David Leslie Trophy Race (Formula Fords)
- Pitlane garage exhibition with F1 Cars, Tom Chilton S2000 Ford Focus, Mat Jackson Redstone Ford Focus, Vauxhall Thunder Saloon and various Ford RS500’s.
- Star guests from the Super Touring era
- F1 & F3000 track demos from ex Alonso, Piquet and Aiello cars
- Pre STCC Race Grid Walk (£5)
- Free camping for all.
Tickets for the event are available online now and you can pre-book before the weekend at discounted rates. Otherwise, tickets will be available on the gate throughout the weekend.
Find our more about our David Leslie Super Touring Festival event.